Top Tips On How To Stop Your Nails Splitting and Cracking
Posted by Sarah on Thursday, 19 February 2009 at 19:34:00
How To Look After Your Nails and Tips On How To Stop Them Breaking, Splitting And Cracking
It's a nightmare isn't it when you have been carefully looking after your nails, feeling proud that you are the only one of your mates who hasn't resorted to falsies or acrylics, when one of your beautifully manicured nail tips splits or breaks. This can happen when nails are too dry or weak, but there are things that can be done to make this disaster a lot less likely to happen.
- Flaking nails can be inherited unfortunately, but if you have them them there are a few things you can do to help the situation such as brushing on Solar Oil each day. Solar Oil is a blend of naturally light oils and Vitamin E, designed to deeply penetrate and protect skin and nails.
- Flaking can also be held at bay by using a buffer on the free edge of your nails and buffing in the tip to cuticle direction will help to seal the nail layers together and make them less likely to flake.
- To help stop general breakage of weak nails that bend and split, use a nail strengthener such as Sally Hansen Hard as Nails. They do call it the orignal nail clinic in a bottle, which does seem to be more than marketing blurb, as it will definitely help prevent chipping, splitting and cracking. It seals the nails with a smooth surface that helps strengthen and smooth the nail and seals nail edges. Your nails should grow if you use this product as directed.
- Diet is important for nails. Eating a varied balanced daily with lots of fruit and vegetables helps to keep your nails as well as your hair and skin healthy. Foods such as brazil nuts contain selenium, avocados and flaxseed have essential fatty acids, broccoli, fish and seaweed contain silicon and brewer's yeast (available from chemists), brown rice and soybeans are high in biotin.
- The old favourite - drink lots of water - if you are dehydrated then there are less nutrients circulated to the nails and they will dry out and grow more slowly.
- If you are applying polish (and not using a nail strengthener) then make sure you use a base coat. This will protect your nails from staining if you are using a bright coloured polish, and some base coats also contain nutrients such as Vitamin E to strengthen the nail.
Back to the Fashion and Jewellery Blog